Rails Wiki solution on Windows?

I've been asked to put together a simple intranet Wiki, but the only "server" I have available is a Windows 7 machine with Rails ( on Ruby 2.0 ) installed.

I've been looking around for options which will work on this platform - I tried "Instiki" and "Refinery CMS" but neither of them appear to be compatible. I'm running a couple of simple Rails applications on this machine already, so I know it's not a problem with Rails.

I've looked at "Git-wiki" but I think it doesn't have the features I need (media uploads, etc).

Does anyone know of a Rails project which can produce a wiki without my having to build an entire site manually?

I've been asked to put together a simple intranet Wiki, but the only "server" I have available is a Windows 7 machine with Rails ( on Ruby 2.0 ) installed.

I've been looking around for options which will work on this platform - I tried "Instiki" and "Refinery CMS" but neither of them appear to be compatible.

Compatible with what?

I'm running a couple of simple Rails applications on this machine already, so I know it's not a problem with Rails.

I've looked at "Git-wiki" but I think it doesn't have the features I need (media uploads, etc).

Does anyone know of a Rails project which can produce a wiki without my having to build an entire site manually?

Why does it need to be Rails based? For alternatives see

Colin

Useful link, thanks.

I was hoping for a Rails option because I haven't yet found another web host which will work on a Windows 7 PC without a fuss.

I've tried Wordpress and Joomla, but Microsoft's WebMatrix refuses to work without an actual Internet server, and I only want a local Intranet site.

Plus I don't know any PHP at all, and I don't think I can fit that into my head as well as trying to figure out JQuery, CoffeeScript, SASS, CSS, and HAML all at once on my existing Rails projects.

I'd like a Ubuntu server, or maybe something powerful enough to have a virtual machine with Ubuntu installed, but I don't have those options at the moment; just an old PC running Windows 7 and Rails.

Are you sure you need to code? I may be wrong, but it sounds like someone wants a wiki.

I’d use a local apache install with php set up on that to host one of the wiki solutions they have.

~Spaceghost

While I hate to jump on the php bandwagon in the rails list :slight_smile: I think your best bet for a solution at this point is one of the php wikis out there. Let me make my recommendation for pmwiki (http://www.pmwiki.org) -- I've actually been using it for several years. I'd dead easy to set up under Apache; I have it running under lighted and nginx as well; I can share configs for that if you wish. I know it runs on Windows boxes under WAMP (which I understand is pretty painless to set up and get going). I don't know if it works with the newest version of php that includes a built-in server or not, but if this is a light-weight enough user base, that's a possibility as well.

Of course, the other direction to go at this point might just be MS's Sharepoint.

You can look into Bitnami which has turnkey installers for wikis. Its really easy to configure and not invasive on your system. MediaWiki is one of the most popular ones that ive found and closest to wikipedia.

Thanks all. MediaWiki is the one I'm planning to use at the moment. Looks like it's time to learn how Apache & PHP work :slight_smile: