Rails Organization

I'm just starting so forgive me for beginner questions... When you have a team of programmers developing something in RoR, how is the s/w organized? Is there a common class library? Before writing something new do the programmers consult what already exists? Can you please elaborate on methods of organizing the s/w, making sure only good OO code is written, how reviews or unit tests are done? Thanks!

Larry H. <lists@...> writes:

I'm just starting so forgive me for beginner questions... When you have a team of programmers developing something in RoR, how is the s/w organized? Is there a common class library? Before writing something new do the programmers consult what already exists? Can you please elaborate on methods of organizing the s/w, making sure only good OO code is written, how reviews or unit tests are done? Thanks!

Rails provides a well fleshed out framework for your code. Almost everything has a natural place to live following MVC and Rails conventions. This might be what you are refering to as "a common class library".

When programmers start creating code it will naturally fall into locations and files. Programmers joining a team should be able to find the code they are looking for by following Rails conventions and inspecting the files created.
This also goes for tests, which by default use Ruby's built in "unit test" frame work.

Ruby treats everything (everything!) as an object, so you do not have to worry about ensuring the code is OO - although individual programmer can break this by passing variable around instead of the objects themselves.

Lastly, the biggest hurdle within a team environment is source control. There are many source control solutions out there, but the Ruby community has settled on git due to its flexibility and power. The more important underlying quesiton is how to ensure updates to your central cose repository do not break the application - and again, this is where a good test framework comes into play.