Rails migrations--urgent

Hello, I am new bee to Rails and I am really in a dilemma of follwing task:

I have some existing migrations and going to use some more new migrations, and I have few common fields which is not covered in my existing(old) migrations. Now I want some way to add this common fields with my existing as well as new migrations without writing any extra migration script. shall I need to use generators, if yes then how? also please let me know what is the best way to achieve this.

I will b e really thanful if someone could really help me out of this.

Waiting for reply

Regards,

Hitesh

Hitesh Rawal wrote:

I have some existing migrations and going to use some more new migrations, and I have few common fields which is not covered in my existing(old) migrations. Now I want some way to add this common fields with my existing as well as new migrations without writing any extra migration script. shall I need to use generators, if yes then how? also please let me know what is the best way to achieve this.

If I understand you correctly you are asking how to add/remove fields from existing database tables using migrations.

This guide explains pretty much everything you need to know about Rails migrations:

This sections specifically explains how to change tables using migrations:

Keep in mind that the purpose of migrations is to support an agile design methodology to database design. It's very common to need to add new columns, remove columns or rename columns in your database as you progress the design of your application.

There is also a special convention for adding/removing columns to a table using generators.

Example: ruby script/generate migration AddPartNumberToProducts part_number:string

will generate:

class AddPartNumberToProducts < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     add_column :products, :part_number, :string   end

def self.down     remove_column :products, :part_number   end end

Notice that any changes made in self.up gets undone in self.down. One key to good migrations is to make sure "down" always reverses the changes made in "up." This allows you to rollback schema changes without causing adverse effects.

In some cases (especially with the production environment) this may require data migration along with schema migration. For example if you find you need to normalize a table you may have to move the data into the new schema while making the schema changes. Its up to you to make sure reversing that process occurs in the proper order to avoid any data loss. If this is required make sure you do sufficient testing before running these migrations on production data.