Rails for Change

Hi Folks,

I started a meetup here in DC called Rails for Change. Since I an VERY new to Rails, I wanted get people together are also interested in learning Rails, learn from each other and show off individual projects. I figure this is a good way for me to learn the framework pretty quickly.

I personally have an interest in how technology is a can be a great tool to help the "social sector" (socially responsible businesses, nonprofits, campaigns, or just cool projects people want to work on to help their fellow man) bring people together and change the world. My ultimate goal was to see this Meetup (and others around the country) spend their time together working on projects for organizations that need help developing online applications that will help them achieve their missions more effectively. If we are going to spend that time working on apps, why not do it for a good cause right?

I am hoping that ultimately this rolls into a development community for an application or series of applications that play nice together that can be modified for specific organizations needs. I see applications like this for so many other languages, and would love to see one big push in the Rails community for an application or software like Plone or Drupal have (and this in no way means I was thinking we would have to develop a CMS).

I am interested in gauging people's interests in something like this. It would take some groundwork to a structure for this put together, so I am currently looking for people in other cities who would like to be local Meetup organizers.

Please email me if you are interested in this project or have any good ideas, suggestions or even criticisms. I look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone.

Thanks,

Riche info@richezamor.com

Something just like this sprung up at the Ruby Hoedown last year; I believe Chad Fowler organizes it or perhaps it was Jeff Casimir...

Anyhoo, they called it Ruby for Change. You might want to Google for a mailing list or something if you want to get involved.

--Jeremy

Hi Folks,

I started a meetup here in DC called Rails for Change.

[...]

I personally have an interest in how technology is a can be a great tool to help the "social sector" (socially responsible businesses, nonprofits, campaigns, or just cool projects people want to work on to help their fellow man) bring people together and change the world. My ultimate goal was to see this Meetup (and others around the country) spend their time together working on projects for organizations that need help developing online applications that will help them achieve their missions more effectively. If we are going to spend that time working on apps, why not do it for a good cause right?

[...]

Please email me if you are interested in this project or have any good ideas, suggestions or even criticisms. I look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone.

You might take a look at Razoo.com. They are located a bit down Connecticut Ave. from Dupont Circle, and they are working on a site for charitable social networking in Rails. I interviewed there and I was impressed (though I ultimately took a different job).

Thanks, Riche

--Greg