Rails AR/SQLServer Unit Test Messages to start soon

Hello All,   While pestering bitsweat to get my patch to SQLServer_adapter.rb applied he mentioned that it would be helpful to have automated unit tests ran for SQL Server similar to the Oracle ones. Michael Schoen was gracious enough to send me his script which I modified slightly to run on Win32.

I managed to get it all set up and running correctly and will start it running soon. Hopefully the SQLServer_adapter can get a little love before 1.2 goes gold...

Rich C.

Hello All,   While pestering bitsweat to get my patch to SQLServer_adapter.rb applied he mentioned that it would be helpful to have automated unit tests ran for SQL Server similar to the Oracle ones. Michael Schoen was gracious enough to send me his script which I modified slightly to run on Win32.

Awesome, though it's clearly well-busted right now :).

Anyone using one of the other commercial adapters would be well-advised to set something like this up for their database of choice.

You're a star, Rich. I've really been neglecting the poor old thing recently - I've been too buried into my real work to fix those bugs that don't affect me.

Tom

Unfortunately I don’t have the resources to host a live Sybase instance. The only instance I have is on my laptop (12.5.1 ASE). If someone else can get a Sybase database online for testing, I can help get things ironed out. The Sybase tests are a bit fussy to run – but maybe that’s just a testament to my own limitations as a Sybase DBA. (c:

Would it make sense to create a separate mailing list (e.g. rails-core-test) for the automated CI messages? As more adapters join the fray, the rails-core signal-to-noise ratio will worsen. As I understand things, a single commit that breaks all adapters would generate a separate email for each adapter, as would each concomitant AR bugfix. And if that sounds good, then why not go all the way and report test failures for the rest of Rails? Does anyone have continuous integration set up for Rails currently? How much list traffic would that create?

John

As I understand things, a single commit that breaks all adapters would generate a separate email for each adapter, as would each concomitant AR bugfix. And if that sounds good, then why not go all the way and report test failures for the rest of Rails? Does anyone have continuous integration set up for Rails currently? How much list traffic would that create?

I love the fact that we get email when we break the oracle adapter, none of us run it, so it's important that we get quick feedback. This is assumes that the nominal maintainer can turn around a quick patch to remedy the errors. If an adapter is perpetually broken, then the emails are going to be quite irritating

I figure that the current situation is fine, and if it gets bad we can just have all the CI adapters chuck something in the subject for mail filtering, or just stop breaking the tests :).