Rails 6.1 has_many through with multiple models. How to handle it from model to view (form)?

In my Rails 6.1 app, I work on laboratories and journals.

A laboratory can edit many journals. For each journal, it can have a editor type (at least one). For instance, the laboratory LabA edits the journal JournalX as a “writer”. But it could also be a “checker” for the same JournalX.

A single journal can be edited by many laboratories. For instance, the same journal JournalX is also edited by the laboratory LabB as a “checker” (it could have been a writer, too, it doesn’t matter).

The journals table has two columns: titre : a title (string) issn : the issn number for this title (string too)

The laboratories (its name is in French : laboratoires) has many columns, of which, for instance, its name.

I have an type_editeurs table (poor choice of name in French, English editor_types would have been better) with the list of the possible editor types.

Finally a editions table joins between all these elements, containing :

• a laboratory id
  • a journal id
  • an editor type id

Then I have the following models:

class Journal < ApplicationRecord
  has_many :editions, dependent: :destroy
  has_many :laboratoires, through: :editions
  has_many :type_editeurs, through: :editions
  validates :issn, presence: true, length: {maximum: 10}, uniqueness: true
  validates :titre, presence: true, length: {maximum: 256}
end
class TypeEditeur < ApplicationRecord
  has_many :editions, dependent: :destroy
  has_many :laboratoires, through: :editions
  has_many :journals, through: :editions
  validates :code, presence: true, length: {maximum: 10}, uniqueness: true
  validates :libelle, presence: true, length: {maximum: 256}
end
class Edition < ApplicationRecord
  belongs_to :laboratoire
  belongs_to :journal
  belongs_to :type_editeur
end

And finally :

class Laboratoire < ApplicationRecord
  has_many :editions
  accepts_nested_attributes_for :editions
  has_many :journals, through: :editions
  accepts_nested_attributes_for :journals
  has_many :type_editeurs, through: :editions
  accepts_nested_attributes_for :type_editeurs
end

In all the app, I am working through the laboratory.

In the laboratories’ controller, I have permitted :

editions_attributes [:id, :journal_id, :type_editeur_id]

And, since I was also a bit lost and tried many things, at the moment journal_ids: [] and type_editeur_ids: [] are also permitted.

In the view, I would like the list of all the journals to appear. On each line of the list, a checkbox next to the journal’s title allows the user to associate the journal to the laboratory. Moreover, on the same line, a select box allows the user to choose the editor_type for the chosen journal.

To that purpose, I have tried many ways to write my form but, sadly, until now, I’ve never managed to make it work successfully.

I managed to record/update the journals list, for instance, but the editor type is not working well.

For instance, I have the following code (form is the general form to handle a laboratory creation/modification) :

<table class="table table-hover table-striped" style="width: 100%" id="tabjournal">
  <thead>
    <th scope="col">Titre</th>                                                                                                                                     
    <th scope="col">ISSN</th>                                                                                                                                      
    <th scope="col">Rôle</th>                                                                                                                                   
  </thead>
  <tbody>
    <%= form.fields_for :editions do |ff| %>                                                                                                                       
      <%= ff.collection_check_boxes :journal_id, Journal.all.order(:titre), :id, :titre do |j|  %>
        <tr>
          <td align="center" width="5%">                                                                                                                                   
            <%= j.check_box %>                                                                                                                                           
          </td>                                                                                                                                                          
          <td>
            <%= j.label %>
          </td>
          <td>
            <%= ff.collection_select :type_editeur_id, TypeEditeur.all.order(:libelle), :id, :libelle %> 
          </td>
        </tr>                                                                                                                                                      
      <% end %>
    <% end %>
 </tbody>
</table>

I suppose I am missing something in either this association or (and ?) in the form’s construction but I cannot see what. I have often use has_many through associations and created the forms without any problems but it is the first time I have three tables involved in and, clearly, I miss something.

Any help would be welcoming gladly, I still have a long way to understand clearly Rails :). French writer La Bruyère was saying : “Si claire est l’eau de ces bassins, qu’il faut se pencher longtemps au-dessus pour en comprendre la profondeur” - The water in these pools is so clear that you have to lean over it for a long time to understand its depth. So it is for Rails, isn’t it :)?