Rails 2.2, abstract_class, and associations

In my project, I've created an abstract model that my real models inherit from. In my abstract model, I've overridden method_missing so that I can use attribute names without the field type prefix from the legacy database, without having to set up alias_attribute for every attribute in every table.

class LegacyModel < ActiveRecord::Base   self.abstract_class = true

def method_missing(symbol, *args)     ...do some stuff...   end end

This all worked fine in Rails 2.0.2. It still works in Rails 2.2.2, but now not across a belongs_to association. It does work across a has_many association.

NoMethodError: NoMethodError   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record/ associations/association_proxy.rb:209:in `method_missing'

Anyone have any ideas on either a better way to handle the attribute names, or where to start looking to figure out how to make this work?

Thanks,

Jim Crate Que Viva, LLC

Anyone have any ideas on either a better way to handle the attribute names, or where to start looking to figure out how to make this work?

Have you also overridden respond_to?

Fred

No, I haven't. But I'm curious what I would do with respond_to? that would affect method_missing?

Jim

I played around with overriding respond_to?, and figured out how to make this all work. Apparently, in Rails 2.2, if respond_to? returns false, method_missing gets called on the association proxy instead of the base class. Although, I have to wonder if there's a better way to accomplish this than through method_missing. Maybe there's some way to loop through all attributes and call alias_attribute dynamically when classes are loaded?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Jim

There is - try this:

class LegacyModel < ActiveRecord::Base   column_names.each do |c|     # figure out the new name     alias_attribute new_name, c   end end

--Matt Jones

This would work in a regular model, but not a model with abstract_class set to true. LegacyModel is an abstract class that other models inherit from, so I do not have to repeat certain things which apply to all legacy tables in the database, like setting the primary key, certain alias_attribute calls, and a few other things.

Jim