end

def <=>(other)
    age <=> other.age
end

attr_reader :name,:age
protected :age

end

p1 = Person.new(“Fred”,21) puts p1.age

That causes an error: NoMethodError: protected method `age’ called for #<Person:0x2dc876c @age=31, @name=“fred”> from (irb):41

However check this one out. p2 = Person.new(“John”,23) compage = (p1 <=> p2)

This one works.

My question is how come “other.age” works however “p1.age” doesn’t . I guess it has something to do with scope. Can someone put the explanation in an easy to understand

sentence.

That's how ruby works. http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2007/2/23/method-visibility-in-ruby

This is a ruby-talk question :slight_smile:

First off you are giving Ruby some confused signals.

attr_reader says to creat public accesor age. Then you declare age as protected. Protected methods are not to be accessed outside the class. Do not define age method protected.

Thanks Pratik but Jamis article didn’t elaborate much. At least not for me.

• Neeraj

Hi --

class Person

def initialize(name,age)        @name,@age = name,age    end

def <=>(other)        age <=> other.age    end

attr_reader :name,:age    protected :age end

p1 = Person.new("Fred",21) puts p1.age

That causes an error: NoMethodError: protected method `age' called for #<Person:0x2dc876c @age=31, @name="fred">        from (irb):41

However check this one out. p2 = Person.new("John",23) compage = (p1 <=> p2)

This one works.

My question is how come "other.age" works however "p1.age" doesn't . I guess it has something to do with scope. Can someone put the explanation in an easy to understand sentence.

At the time you call a protected method on x, self must be an instance of the same class (or a subclass) as x.

That is true inside <=>, where both self and other are of class Person. But it's not true at the top level, where p1 is a Person but self is the Object instance main (the top-level default object).

You should, as another poster suggested, have a look at the ruby-talk list if you have Ruby-specific questions -- not because they're not directly relevant to Rails development but because they'll fit in better there and probably get more response overall.

David