Processing data

Hello Folks!

Im stuck with my current task, partly because there seems to be a lack of basic understanding of syntax i cant pinpoint. I hope you can show me a way out!

What Im trying to do is processing one model's data, thus turning it into another model's data. It works with one datum, but I cant get it to work with the whole data set. I tried several versions of code in several places, but this is the current version:

class RawDatum < ActiveRecord::Base   default_scope :order => 'raw_data.timestamp DESC'   def self.process_raw_data     i = 0     RawDatum.find_each do |raw|       data[i] = ProcessedDatum.create       data[i].period_label = raw.status       i += 1     end     return data   end end

class ProcessedDatum < ActiveRecord::Base end

class ProcessedDataController < ApplicationController   def index     @data = RawDatum.process_raw_data   end end

when i open localhost:3000/processed_data/, i get the following error: undefined local variable or method `data' for #<Class:0x9c785f4> app/models/raw_datum.rb:11:in `block in process_raw_data' app/models/raw_datum.rb:10:in `process_raw_data' app/controllers/processed_data_controller.rb:9:in `index'

the data variable is supposed to be an array that should hold ProcessedDatum-objects, its just a container variable. it seems i have to define it, but how would I do that? am i doing this entirely wrong, and if so, what would be a better way?

I think it should be enough to add `data = ` after `i = 0` in `process_raw_data`.

Hi

Hello Folks!

Im stuck with my current task, partly because there seems to be a lack of basic understanding of syntax i cant pinpoint. I hope you can show me a way out!

What Im trying to do is processing one model's data, thus turning it into another model's data. It works with one datum, but I cant get it to work with the whole data set. I tried several versions of code in several places, but this is the current version:

class RawDatum < ActiveRecord::Base   default_scope :order => 'raw_data.timestamp DESC'   def self.process_raw_data     i = 0     RawDatum.find_each do |raw|       data[i] = ProcessedDatum.create       data[i].period_label = raw.status       i += 1     end     return data   end end

You need to initialize data variable before doing the loop (`data = `).

def self.process_raw_data   data =   find_each do |raw|     data << ProcessedDatum.create(period_label: raw.status)   end

data end

Greg Navis wrote in post #1183804:

I think it should be enough to add `data = ` after `i = 0` in `process_raw_data`. -- Greg Navis I help tech companies to scale Heroku-hosted Rails apps. Free, biweekly scalability newsletter for SaaS CEOs <http://www.gregnavis.com/newsletter/&gt;

Thank you, that did the trick! I guess the notion of declaring the type of an object struck me as un-ruby-ish.

nanaya wrote in post #1183805:

Hi

end end

You need to initialize data variable before doing the loop (`data = `).

def self.process_raw_data   data =   find_each do |raw|     data << ProcessedDatum.create(period_label: raw.status)   end

data end

Beautiful, thank you! Works like a charm and is indeed much more elegant than my code.

I'm glad it helped. It's not about declaring a type of object. `` is a syntactic sugar for `Array.new`. It creates a new empty array. So `data = ` (or `data = Array.new`) create a new array and assigns it to `data`.