Problems redirecting from form_remote_tag

Hey,

A noob question no doubt but when I use form_remote_tag to make an AJAX call to the server I can't make it redirect to re-render the entire page.

So for example the below code from /controller/index.html.erb invokes the call...

<% form_remote_tag :url => {:action => :foo} do %>

...form stuff...

<%= submit_tag "Submit" %> <% end %>

And then a redirect from foo to index won't work...

def foo       redirect_to :action => :index end

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Actually managed to fix it myself...

I found from the log that I was getting the following error:

ActionController::DoubleRenderError (Can only render or redirect once per action):

And it seems that it was caused by the fact that I didn't realize that the code flow continues in the action after the redirect.

So what I didn't show in the first message was that my action was actually more like:

def foo       if @failed            redirect_to :action => :index # I thought the code flow would cease here if failed       end       blah blah       redirect_to :action => :somewhere_else # but actually it continues and picks up this second redirect also end

Hi ginty,

ginty wrote:

I didn't realize that the code flow continues in the action after the redirect.

def foo       if @failed            redirect_to :action => :index # I thought the code flow would cease here if failed       end       blah blah       redirect_to :action => :somewhere_else # but actually it continues and picks up this second redirect also end

To get it to cease where you thought it would, I believe you can add 'and return' to your redirect. Alternatively... yep, if you don't put the 'blah blah..redirect_to" in an 'else' clause, it'll raise an error.

HTH, Bil