Problems after updating to rails 2.1

Looks like ruby is installed "locally" for the "user"...

# which ruby and # ruby -v

for both root and the user. or maybe the environment is different somehow?

# env

for both users

heimdull wrote:

Looks like ruby is installed "locally" for the "user"...

# which ruby and # ruby -v

for both root and the user. or maybe the environment is different somehow?

# env

for both users

Wow, you're right, here's the output. Seems like my paths are not in the same order with respect to /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin. I can fix that. I wonder if that will fix everything else . . . We'll see.

sline:~/eclipseWorkspace: which ruby /usr/local/bin/ruby

sline:~/eclipseWorkspace: ruby -v ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [i686-darwin8.11.1]

sline:~/eclipseWorkspace: su - Password: SlineMac:~ root# which ruby /usr/bin/ruby

SlineMac:~ root# ruby -v ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [universal-darwin9.0]

SlineMac:~ root# ls -ld /usr/bin/ruby lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 76 Jul 22 08:26 /usr/bin/ruby -> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/Current/usr/bin/ruby

SlineMac:~ root# ls -ld /usr/local/bin/ruby -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1824244 Apr 26 09:53 /usr/local/bin/ruby

I know this is weird, but after upgrading to leopard (or some other undetermined event), it appears the su - command doesn't execute the root .bash_profile anymore. So my .bash_profile wasn't getting executed and my paths are in different orders due to a default path being used for root.

Finally found the *root* of the problem: my root login shell was changed to sh from bash. It used to be bash. I bet upgrading to leopard did this little favor for me. How sweet!