problem with Sentry gem

I need to encrypt passwords for storage in the db and then decrypt them for use later. I just generated a sandbox app to try the Sentry gem which looks perfect for this. But I’m getting this error when I access the app:

undefined method `generates_crypted’ for Filepassword:Class

I’ve got the gem installed.

------ Filepassword.rb contains ---------

class Filepassword < ActiveRecord::Base generates_crypted :password, :mode => :symmetric end

--------- create.rb (the scaffolded controller) contains --------

class CreateController < ApplicationController require ‘sentry’

def index list render :action => ‘list’ end

etc… it’s all just scaffolding right now

end

----- environment.rb contains ---------

require ‘sentry’ Sentry::SymmetricSentry.default_key = “secret_password”

-------- the SQL script contains ---------

drop table if exists filepasswords;

create table filepasswords ( id int not null auto_increment, password varchar(50) null, status varchar(7) null default ‘’, primary key (id) ) engine=InnoDB;

I’m running Rails 1.2.2 via Instant Rails 1.5

Anybody with any experience with the Sentry gem see something obvious? It looks like exactly what I need at the moment, if I could just get it to work.

Thanks,

Bill

Try the plugin. http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/sentry/

I quit updating the gems a long time ago when a) the upload script i was using broke, and b) jamis commited the plugins [RESEARCH] patch. I suppose I should just take those rubyforge projects down then.

Hi Rick,

Try the plugin. http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/sentry/

I quit updating the gems a long time ago when a) the upload script i was using broke, and b) jamis commited the plugins [RESEARCH] patch. I suppose I should just take those rubyforge projects down then.

Thanks. Will do. Awsome tool. Much appreciated.

Best regards, Bill

Hi Rick,

> Try the plugin. http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/sentry/ > > I quit updating the gems a long time ago when a) the upload script i > was using broke, and b) jamis commited the plugins [RESEARCH] patch. > I suppose I should just take those rubyforge projects down then.

Cool, hope it still works. Patches are welcome if you find it needs a little freshening up to still look appealing next to the young, hip rails 1.2 plugins.

I uninstalled the Sentry gem and installed the Sentry plugin. After creating a database named sentry_plugin_test, I tried to run the tests using:

C:\InstantRails-1.5\rails_apps\sandbox>rake test DB=mysql --trace

and am getting:

(in C:/InstantRails-1.5/rails_apps/sandbox) rake aborted! no such file to load -- sentry C:/InstantRails-1.5/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' C:/InstantRails-1.5/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' C:/InstantRails-1.5/rails_apps/sandbox/config/../vendor/plugins/sentry/tasks/sentry.rake:1 C:/InstantRails-1.5/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.2/lib/tasks/rails.rb:8:in `load' ....

I found this ticket on Trac from a year ago: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/3451 In part, the description reads:

"I ran across this after installing the sentry plugin (that's why technoweenie is cc'd). Once the plugin was installed, I couldn't run any rake tasks because "require 'sentry'" in task/sentry.rake blows up when it is loaded by railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb. It blows up because the plugin's lib directory is not in the load path. I copied the load path munging for plugins out of initializer.rb and put it in railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb and everything worked fine."

I could use some help understanding a) what the 'railties' directory is / contains as I've not run across it before, and b) if this approach would work on my hosted VPS system. The limited ability I have to parse the above makes it look to me like the equivalent on my setup would have me modifying ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.2/lib/tasks/rails.rb which I'm pretty sure I do not have access to on my hosted system. Is there some other way to fix this?

Any help from anybody with experience using this plugin would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Hi Rick,

Rick Olson wrote:

> Try the plugin. http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/sentry/ > > I quit updating the gems a long time ago when a) the upload script i > was using broke, and b) jamis commited the plugins [RESEARCH] patch. > I suppose I should just take those rubyforge projects down then.

Cool, hope it still works. Patches are welcome if you find it needs a little freshening up to still look appealing next to the young, hip rails 1.2 plugins.

I uninstalled the Sentry gem and installed the Sentry plugin. After creating a database named sentry_plugin_test, I tried to run the tests using:

C:\InstantRails-1.5\rails_apps\sandbox>rake test DB=mysql --trace

Unfortunately, I am getting:

(in C:/InstantRails-1.5/rails_apps/sandbox) rake aborted! no such file to load -- sentry C:/InstantRails-1.5/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' C:/InstantRails-1.5/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' C:/InstantRails-1.5/rails_apps/sandbox/config/../vendor/plugins/sentry/tasks/sentry.rake:1 C:/InstantRails-1.5/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.2/lib/tasks/rails.rb:8:in `load' ....

I found this ticket on Trac from a year ago: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/3451 In part, the description reads:

"I ran across this after installing the sentry plugin (that's why technoweenie is cc'd). Once the plugin was installed, I couldn't run any rake tasks because "require 'sentry'" in task/sentry.rake blows up when it is loaded by railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb. It blows up because the plugin's lib directory is not in the load path. I copied the load path munging for plugins out of initializer.rb and put it in railties/lib/tasks/rails.rb and everything worked fine."

Does this look like the same problem I'm having? If so, I could use some help understanding a) what the 'railties' directory is / contains as I've not run across it before, and b) if this approach would work on my hosted VPS system. My admittedly limited ability to parse the above makes me think the equivalent on my setup would have me modifying ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.2/lib/tasks/rails.rb which I'm pretty sure I do not have access to on my hosted system. Is there some other way to fix this?

Any help using this plugin would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Bill