Problem displaying author's name on the post assigned

hi all,

newb still learning here, i'm having problems displaying the author's login name and instead it's displaying the author's id# in mysql. i'm currently using the acts_as_authenticated plug in which seems to be working fine and i've assigned the posts to the authors by: @post.user = current_user

the user login is stored as login but i have no idea how to call the user's login field in the controller i was thinking using something like @user = @user.login but it didn't work so i gues i'm doing something wrong.

here is the code:

in the controller: def show     store_location     @post = Post.find(params[:id])

end

in the view: <span> Posted by : <%= link_to @post.user_id -%> <%= distance_of_time_in_words_to_now(@post.created_at) %> ago </span>

<span> <%= @post.location %></span>

thank you alll

Richard Yoo wrote:

hi all,

newb still learning here, i'm having problems displaying the author's login name and instead it's displaying the author's id# in mysql. i'm currently using the acts_as_authenticated plug in which seems to be working fine and i've assigned the posts to the authors by: @post.user = current_user

the user login is stored as login but i have no idea how to call the user's login field in the controller i was thinking using something like @user = @user.login but it didn't work so i gues i'm doing something wrong.

here is the code:

in the controller: def show     store_location     @post = Post.find(params[:id])

end

in the view: <span> Posted by : <%= link_to @post.user_id -%> <%= distance_of_time_in_words_to_now(@post.created_at) %> ago </span>

<span> <%= @post.location %></span>

thank you alll

Try this:

Posted by: <%= link_to @post.user.login, :controller => 'users', :action => 'show', :id => @post.user %>

Assuming you have a UsersController with a show action, this should work. You could clean it up a bit with name routes.