Postgres text field returns wrong data

I am having an interesting problem. I have a Postgres database with a table containing a text field. In the text field is stored data that in some cases has a '*' and a newline return as the first line first few characters followed by several other lines.

The strange part is when a record is written the data looks correct, however, when the record is read all line feed and carriage returns are stripped in the response data.

I am using the GEM postgres-pr driver 0.4.0 on rails 2.0.2

Is there any reason this would occur? If I have other records without the '*' as described above the data read is correct (all new lines and returns remain).

Sample Text data written as a string, when read no line feeds or carriage returns:

Rick Fiorentino wrote:

I am having an interesting problem. I have a Postgres database with a table containing a text field. In the text field is stored data that in some cases has a '*' and a newline return as the first line first few characters followed by several other lines.

The strange part is when a record is written the data looks correct, however, when the record is read all line feed and carriage returns are stripped in the response data.

I am using the GEM postgres-pr driver 0.4.0 on rails 2.0.2

Just to isolate the problem, could you try using the binary postgres driver? If you're on Windows you could try using a precompiled driver from http://www.vandomburg.net.