Populate default data in tables when object is created

Hi,

How can I populate a table (create several default objects) after a
company (an object) is created. I would use after_create inside the
Company model but I need to populate a lot of data and I think the model
is not a good place. I'm thinking about having the data I want to
populate in a yml file and insert it in a table when a company is
created using after_create, but I don't know how to do that. Any hint?
Thanks!

Juan Kinunt wrote:

I would use after_create inside the Company model but I need to populate
a lot of data and I think the model is not a good place.

Why is that? It certainly sounds like your creation of a company
requires the writing of some additional data, which are effectively
default attributes of a company, no?

Ar Chron wrote:

Juan Kinunt wrote:

I would use after_create inside the Company model but I need to populate
a lot of data and I think the model is not a good place.

Why is that? It certainly sounds like your creation of a company
requires the writing of some additional data, which are effectively
default attributes of a company, no?

For example, a Company has_many Threats and a Threat belongs_to a
Company and I want to populate the table Threats with some default
threats when a Company is created. I don't use the same threats for each
company because each company can add, delete and modify their threats as
they want, so I don't want to share threats. If you think this can be
done differently better any hint will be really appreciated :slight_smile:

Juan Kinunt wrote:

Hi,

How can I populate a table (create several default objects) after a
company (an object) is created. I would use after_create inside the
Company model but I need to populate a lot of data and I think the model
is not a good place.

And I think you're wrong. :slight_smile: The model is the right place for logic
that has to do with model objects!

I'm thinking about having the data I want to
populate in a yml file and insert it in a table when a company is
created using after_create, but I don't know how to do that.

You'd do it the same way as the first method; just read the YAML file
instead of putting the data in the code.

Any hint?
Thanks!

Best,

Juan Kinunt wrote:

For example, a Company has_many Threats and a Threat belongs_to a
Company and I want to populate the table Threats with some default
threats when a Company is created.

Precisely! The default action for a 'company creation' step is to
manufacture n threats associated with that company. The behavior of
defaulting those records for each company as it is created belongs in
the Company model (in my opinion).
If you have different 'default' threats depending on what kind of
company is created (threats are dependent on a company attribute), then
all the more reason for that defaulting logic to be contained in the
company model.

I don't use the same threats for each
company because each company can add, delete and modify their threats as
they want, so I don't want to share threats. If you think this can be
done differently better any hint will be really appreciated :slight_smile:

You would create an instance of each desired threat type for each
company when the company was created. No threat sharing was intended in
my earlier response, sorry for the ambiguity.