Patches for nested attributes and autosave

There are some small issues with the current nested attributes and autosave implementation that I would like to address until Rails 3.

1) The first one was already dissused on the mailing list, which is the use of "_delete" in accepts_nested_attributes_for when both the DSL (:allow_destroy) and the behavior are destroy. I've created a patch that just checks for _destroy instead of _delete with backwards compatibility.

https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/2889

This is to avoid confusion and open room for more improvements in the future.

2) How messages are created with nested attributes are hard to translate and does not work for other languages. For instance:

model_name + " " + attribute_name + " " + message

Is not grammatically correct in portuguese and japanese. There is a ticket about it on Lighthouse:

https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/2210

Although the ticket does not solve the whole problem. It only deals with attributes at the beginning of the message, but not with the errors messages. For instance, when you have a project which has many tasks, it will search for messages at:

+ activerecord.errors.messages.project.tasks.name

And it does not fallback to:

+ activerecord.errors.messages.task.name

So if I customize the error message, I will have to do that in two places.

3) Another problem that has bitten me frequently when using autosave is that I don't want error messages to be copied to the parent when I'm giving both parent and child to error_messages_for. For that, I usually need to create an after_validate callback that delete the messages in the parent:

def after_validate     self.errors.each do |key, value|       next unless key.to_s =~ /child_/       self.errors.instance_variable_get('@errors').delete(key)     end   end

Right now, we deal with parent-child errors in two ways:

+ We copy the child errors to the parent (default for autosave);   + We add an error to the parent saying that the child is invalid (default for validate => true);

I would like to add a third one:

+ Do nothing with the error messages;

The patch would be simple, the tricky is how the DSL is going to be. A suggestion (which definitely needs improvement):

has_many :tasks, :validate => :copy_errors # copy all messages to the parent   has_many :account, :validate => true # add one message that the parent is invalid   has_one :account, :validate => :skip_errors # validate but skip the error messages   has_one :account, :validate => false # does not validate

I already have a patch for (1), working on another patch for (2) and would like to have some discussion on the DSL for (3) before working on it.

What are your thoughts?

I discussed the problem with Eloy and we reached a solution that would simplify both #2 and #3 cases.

The main problem is that ActiveRecord is copying the messages from the child to the parent on autosave, while it shouldn't. error_messages_for should be the one responsible with showing those messages properly:

error_messages_for :project, :association => :tasks

It would show errors in the project and in the associated tasks objects. The I18n part could be dealt as:

activerecord:     errors:       format:         association: "{{association}} {{attribute}} {{message}}"

Which defaults to:

Tasks name can't be blank

It's simpler and faster since it does not rely on a fallback mechanism for I18n.

It's simpler and faster since it does not rely on a fallback mechanism for I18n.

Sounds good to me, will eloy merge that into his branch?

Koz,

The second step was talking with Sven Fuchs from I18n. The string concatenation "{{association}} {{attribute}} {{message}}" is a no-go in I18n and they are trying to eliminate it.

A solution that is still valid would be to nest messages on error_messages_for. Let's suppose that projects has many tasks, and project has invalid title when task has an invalid name. When invoked as:

error_messages_for :projects, :association => :tasks

It would print something as:

+ Title can't be blank   + Tasks      + Name can't be blank

It's the same solution as above, just how we will show the error messages has changed (which can be easily customized by overwriting it).

It still sounds good to you? :slight_smile:

Yup, once José is done with it I will merge it in my branch so you can
pull it in before 2.3.4.

Eloy

@koz and @eloy, here is the patch:

https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994-ruby-on-rails/tickets/2904-avoid-copying-errors-from-child-to-parent-on-autosave