Passing a parameter from a view to a different controller

I am new to Rails and have a simple problem where I am trying to pass a parameter from a view to another controller outside the scope...The model is about a Customer having multiple Prescriptions. The GET request is : /prescription/list_per_customer/2

This is from the view of Customers :

<%= link_to "Customers Prescription", :action => "list_per_customer", :controller => "prescription", :id => @customer.id %>

This is from the other controller, PrescriptionController :

def index     @referred_customer=params[:id] end def list_per_customer      @cust_prescriptions = Prescription.find_all_by_customer_id(@referred_customer)      redirect_to :action => 'list_per_customer' end

How can this be done with or without sessions ? Will appreciate very much if the complete code is provided for these two parts of the code in Customer->view.rhtml and Prescription->list_per_customer...thx

I am new to Rails and have a simple problem where I am trying to pass a parameter from a view to another controller outside the scope...The model is about a Customer having multiple Prescriptions. The GET request is : /prescription/list_per_customer/2

There's really not any difference between a link that will be routed to the same controller and one that won't.

This is from the view of Customers :

<%= link_to "Customers Prescription", :action => "list_per_customer", :controller => "prescription", :id => @customer.id %>

This is fine as long as their is a route backing this (the default one will do if it exists)

This is from the other controller, PrescriptionController :

def index @referred_customer=params[:id] end def list_per_customer @cust_prescriptions = Prescription.find_all_by_customer_id(@referred_customer) redirect_to :action => 'list_per_customer' end

You haven't said what isn't working, but at the very least you need to assign params[:id] to @referred_customer (although personally I find that a bit misleading - it makes it sound like @referred_customer is a customer object rather than just an id) and I doubt you want to redirect - presumably you have a list_by_customer template that knows how to display the prescriptions. If you're new I'd also try using more of the rails conventions (eg make prescriptions a nested resource (see the routing guide on guides.rubyonrails.org for more info)

Fred

Thanks a lot, there was a problem in the list_per_customer template…it works now.