Pass data to javascript

Hi!

I’m creating a bar graph using Morris.js. What I’m showing in the graph is dates on the X-axis and the number of times an event has occurred on that date on the Y-axis.

So, I followed Ryan Bates episode on Morris.js: #223 Charts & Graphs (revised) - RailsCasts (It’s a PRO episode so I will explain more).

I created a class method in my model that fetches all records, groups by date and count the occurrences. This method is called by a helper method from my view. The helper method loops over the date range and checks the number of occurrences for that date and adds it to a hash (dates that doesn’t exist in the database is set to 0).

This hash is then simply added to my view as a data attribute (data-events=“{…}”) which I’m fetching using JS and adding to the graph.

The questions I have are:

• Is this a good approach?

• Would it be better to add another action to my controller and have that return the data needed as JSON and call just this using javascript?

What are the benefits/drawbacks of the different approaches?

Another option would be to fetch the raw JSON data using javascript from …/events.json and then do the grouping and whatever client-side and pass to the graph… Maybe too inefficient?

// Linus

Linus Pettersson wrote in post #1093722:

I created a class method in my model that fetches all records, groups by date and count the occurrences. This method is called by a helper method from my view. The helper method loops over the date range and checks the number of occurrences for that date and adds it to a hash (dates that doesn't exist in the database is set to 0). This hash is then simply added to my view as a data attribute (data-events="{....}") which I'm fetching using JS and adding to the graph.

The questions I have are: - Is this a good approach? - Would it be better to add another action to my controller and have that return the data needed as JSON and call just this using javascript?

Generally speaking try to avoid pre-mature optimization.

1. Go with the simplest solution that could possibly work.

2. Gather some metrics.

3. Try a different approach that you think might improve performance.

4. Goto step 2 until step 3 is exhausted.

Robert Walker wrote in post #1094237:

Generally speaking try to avoid pre-mature optimization.

1. Go with the simplest solution that could possibly work.

2. Gather some metrics.

3. Try a different approach that you think might improve performance.

4. Goto step 2 until step 3 is exhausted.

Oh! Forgot to mention that Ryan Bates also created an episode that might be useful for you.