NoMethodError application_controller.rb:10

When I try to set a session variable, in ApplicationController, I get this:

NoMethodError in ManagementController#index

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base. The error occurred while evaluating nil.=

RAILS_ROOT: c:/dev/qna Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

c:/dev/qna/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:10 c:/dev/qna/app/controllers/management_controller.rb:1

The code is below

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   helper :all # include all helpers, all the time   protect_from_forgery # See ActionController::RequestForgeryProtection for details   session[:current_user_id] = "546" end

Why I cannot set the session varaible?

rtacconi wrote:

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base. The error occurred while evaluating nil.=

c:/dev/qna/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:10 c:/dev/qna/app/controllers/management_controller.rb:1

The code is below

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   helper :all # include all helpers, all the time   protect_from_forgery # See ActionController::RequestForgeryProtection for details   session[:current_user_id] = "546" end

Really? That's only about 5 lines of code and the error is being reported on line 10. What's on line 10?

Why I cannot set the session varaible?

Best,

The code is below

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base helper :all # include all helpers, all the time protect_from_forgery # See ActionController::RequestForgeryProtection for details session[:current_user_id] = "546"

This is executing when application controller loads, in the context of the class, (rather than an individual instance of it) which doesn't make any sense. If you want to play with the session you need to be doing so from an instance method of a controller (since session itself is an instance method of controllers)

Fred