No Configuration!!! WHAT?!

Oh, it's just that somebody who has spent 8-10 years taking programming courses, and teaches 5 level programming tends to probably know a bit more than your average railbird who hasn't done anything important. The cart API that I use is insane and the guy who built it is the same way (17 years of programming, and a masters).

Oh, it's just that somebody who has spent 8-10 years taking
programming courses,

Probably for Java or C.

and teaches 5 level programming

Probably Java or C.

tends to probably know a bit

About Java or C.

your average railbird who hasn't done anything important.

Sounds like a troll. Just look at all the great rails applications on
the rubyonrails.org site. Clearly someone who has very, very little
experience in the Rails world has written your posts. You probably got
frustrated at the fact a method like logged_in? didn't work because
you didn't include the module.

Away with thee, troll.

@nathan

I bought the book. It's really helpful. The free ones in the site to a great job too but the 12 dollar one was more up to date, and better organized. I created a blog with image uploading and displaying in about 30 minutes using that as a reference, and I'm a big noob. As far as cart API, I can't really talk about it other than to say it's built in j2ee and the templates are in Velocity. You can build a dynamic catalog of products in about 10 minutes from your own HTML template. If you'd like something close with a little of some of the same freedom, you can try shopify(built in RoR).

@nathan:

I'd be more concerned that you even have to import the model in the first place (so much for convention over configuration). Web2Py does that for you, using the off-the-wall assumption that if you make a model you intend on using it.

Actually, in my experience it’s some of the best educated that I’ve seen write the worst code. The absolute worst was actually a teacher at mit. He knew the languages just fine, but his real world coding was just awful. And some of the best developers I know never graduated from college.

Chris

@chris:

Just so you know, it's not how well somebody knows code, or what language they specialize in. Great programmers are great because of their big picture knowledge that makes them a good programmer. The code/language is just the means they use to achive what they want. That big picture that you learn from real programming experience. Not from online tutorials and code snippets.

I tried Web2Py with some code snippets after reading this post the other day. It actually was really easy.

There is a problem though. It's written in pure Python, and even lets you use Python code in the views, or use the template language (which ever you prefer). That might be good for a Python programmer, but I'm not used to the indentation requirements. I did find out, however that the views don't require the indentation since code is encapsulated inside of {{write code here}} or {{=variable}}. I'm not in the mood to learn another language just yet, but I am afraid that Rails will jump the shark with Meeb.

Here's a picture of the browser-based admin (where you can write all of your code (no opening files if you don't want to, but it does create all the typical file structures that you'd expect when you use this admin. So you can create everything in the admin, and then edit files in a text editor if you want. the admin does do text formatting though, with tabs, and code highlighting.

Attachments: http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/3106/admin-4.jpg