New to Rails: Assigning Post to Users

First off, I'm new to rails - this is only my second day playing with it. Here's my problem.

I have a post model and a user model. I want to have a has_one relationship between posts and users. Meaning a post 'has_one' user (author). I feel like I'm doing things right in the model but I'm just not understanding the "for" loops yet. Take a look at the show.rhtml to see my messed up for loop.

Any help is appreciated, here is some of the code

I have a post model and a user model. I want to have a has_one relationship between posts and users. Meaning a post 'has_one' user (author). I feel like I'm doing things right in the model but I'm just not understanding the "for" loops yet. Take a look at the show.rhtml to see my messed up for loop.

Ah - you may be getting slightly mixed up. A post belongs to a user and a user has many posts. This One to Many relationship should be defined like this:

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :user end

class User < ActiveRecord::Base    has_many :posts end

has_one is used for a One to One relationship - like that between, for example, orders and invoices. In this case an order has one invoice and an invoice has one order.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Curmorpheus <curt.mills@...> writes:

It doesn't sound like you need a loop at all - since a post only has one user, you just call post.user

The Rails magic here happens when you put "has_one :user" in the model - that line creates the .user and .user= methods among others. If you'd used "has_many :users" then a different set of methods would have been created, including .users

http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActiveRecord/Associations/ClassMethods.html has more info.

Gareth