New old-car website looking for beta testers

Apologies for the OT and arguably ADV post. I'm close to releasing my first full-scale rails app, and am looking for beta testers. The site is for people with old cars (cars over 20 years old), so if any of you fit into that category I'd really appreciate you heading over to http://www.autopendium.co.uk/betas/new and signing up for the closed beta test.

While I'm here I'd like to thank the whole of the Rails community, especially the core team and the guys on the rails-deployment list. I'm wasn't a programmer by background (done a bit of PHP hacking, and some assembly language and BASIC some 25 years ago), and have had to essentially teach myself to program in order to do this project (which is still very much a first draft)*. Doing this could have been a nightmare; instead the structure of Rails and the beauty of Ruby made it a joy.

Though my code still leaves a lot to be desired, it's a damn sight more structured and robust than anything I've done before, and that is entirely down to Rails. Along the way I've come to embrace testing first, REST, and some fattish models (though my controllers could still be a little more skinny). Now I have a lot more confidence in my coding, and the work that I'm doing, and generally judge my code on the simple maxim: if it's not clean and simple, there's probably a better way.

Once again many thanks

Chris Taggart

*I've also had to get to grips with deployment and Linux Sys Admin, but that's another story entirely.

'72 Mach 1 Mustang here... I'm in. :slight_smile:

Wes

Wes wrote:

'72 Mach 1 Mustang here... I'm in. :slight_smile:

Wes

Apologies for the OT and arguably ADV post. I'm close to releasing my first full-scale rails app, and am looking for beta testers. The site is for people with old cars (cars over 20 years old), so if any of you fit into that category I'd really appreciate you heading over tohttp://www.autopendium.co.uk/betas/newand signing up for the closed beta test.

While I'm here I'd like to thank the whole of the Rails community, especially the core team and the guys on the rails-deployment list. I'm wasn't a programmer by background (done a bit of PHP hacking, and some assembly language and BASIC some 25 years ago), and have had to essentially teach myself to program in order to do this project (which is still very much a first draft)*. Doing this could have been a nightmare; instead the structure of Rails and the beauty of Ruby made it a joy.

Though my code still leaves a lot to be desired, it's a damn sight more structured and robust than anything I've done before, and that is entirely down to Rails. Along the way I've come to embrace testing first, REST, and some fattish models (though my controllers could still be a little more skinny). Now I have a lot more confidence in my coding, and the work that I'm doing, and generally judge my code on the simple maxim: if it's not clean and simple, there's probably a better way.

Once again many thanks

Chris Taggart

*I've also had to get to grips with deployment and Linux Sys Admin, but that's another story entirely.      >

Cool (though being a Camaro owner, probably shouldn't say that). Just trying to squash a deployment bug, then should be ending out the first batch of beta codes. It's still at an early stage, but, hey, that's the agile philosophy, right?