New app - Welcome loads fine but controller slow

Jk Jk wrote:

I am running RoR 1.2 on Fedora 6 in VMWare. I create a new app and fire up WEBrick and connect from my windows host over a host-only VMWare interface and it connects fine.

Now I create a test controller and view and connect. It takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes to load the simple "hello" style test page.

If I copy the whole directory to my windows box and run WEBbrick and connect to localhost it loads fine.

I have an Apache/PHP setup on the VMWare using the same connection (to port 80 not 3000 but similar) and it works fine.

Any ideas on why the "Welcome aboard" page loads fine but a simple controller would take so long to load?

Is your image swapping when it's running Rails? If you reload the controller URL after the first time it finishes loading does it still take a long time to load?

Jk Jk wrote:

Michael Wang wrote:

Is your image swapping when it's running Rails? If you reload the controller URL after the first time it finishes loading does it still take a long time to load?

thanks Michael

It takes a long time to load no matter how many times I refresh. I can also stop and start WEBrick and it makes no difference. Controller loads slow.

If you monitor the RAM and swap usage with something like "top" do you see it chewing up swap space? What's taking up most of the CPU cycles while it's trying to load the page through the controller?

If you view the development.log file what are the controller stats you are seeing? E.g. is it spending most of its time rendering the view or accessing the DB?