Need to add path to routes.rb

Dear Folks,

I am Web developer and have experience mainly with the Django Web framework for Python and wish to learn ROR.

I am currently using Rails 3.0.3 and was getting a routing error whenever I added a view to a controller until I found out I had to add the path to the routes.rb file under the config directory.

Is this new in Rails 3? I am asking this because I was following the example in "Agile Web Development with Rails 3rd Edition" which uses Rails 2 and getting the routing error.

I also find that if use the "rails generate" command the routes.rb file is automatically updated. Does this mean that the proper way to create views and controllers is to use the above command.

If so how do I create a view function in an existing controller without having it being overwritten or is the manual way the only way to do this?

I hope that is clear.

Thanks.

depends on your requirement use “collection” or “member” in your route.

thanks abhis

Dear Folks,

I am Web developer and have experience mainly with the Django Web framework for Python and wish to learn ROR.

I am currently using Rails 3.0.3 and was getting a routing error whenever I added a view to a controller until I found out I had to add the path to the routes.rb file under the config directory.

Is this new in Rails 3? I am asking this because I was following the example in "Agile Web Development with Rails 3rd Edition" which uses Rails 2 and getting the routing error.

You are liable to run into a lot of problems if the version of rails you are using is not close to that of your tutorial. You could have a look at railstutorial.org with has a good rails 3 tutorial. It is free to work through online, or pay for the book I think.

Also work through the Rails Guides, starting with Getting Started of course.

I also find that if use the "rails generate" command the routes.rb file is automatically updated. Does this mean that the proper way to create views and controllers is to use the above command.

For beginners at least probably yes.

If so how do I create a view function in an existing controller without having it being overwritten or is the manual way the only way to do this?

You can only use the generators the first time, then it is up to you.

Colin