Need som help where to look, has_many or ?

I would need some help on pointing me to the correct direction. In application i would like users to be abel to select genres for work they like to do. A user can be willing to do a lot of genres or just one. If i still was writing code in .NET i would do a string of id's and then save them to the database.

How would one do this in Ruby On Rails, are something like =>

Class User   has_one :profile end

Class Profile belongs_to :user has_many :genres end

Class Genre has_many :profiles end

And then genre would have profile_id and genre_id (so i can get a translated text for that id).

What would you do ?

I would need some help on pointing me to the correct direction. In application i would like users to be abel to select genres for work they like to do. A user can be willing to do a lot of genres or just one. If i still was writing code in .NET i would do a string of id's and then save them to the database.

How would one do this in Ruby On Rails, are something like =>

Class User has_one :profile end

Class Profile belongs_to :user has_many :genres end

Class Genre has_many :profiles end

And then genre would have profile_id and genre_id (so i can get a translated text for that id).

If a profile can have many genres and a genre can have many profiles then you need a has_and_belongs_to_many association. Have a look at the Rails Guide on ActiveRecord Relationships for more information.

Colin