Need Help on "Virtual Timer Expired" issue

Hi Everyone,
I am new to RoR and in the past couple of years, I was mostly involved in Java/J2EE programming.
I’ve just started learning ruby and rails from the last few days. Programming in Ruby on Rails is fun, the one thing I like the most is not worrying about the boiler plate code implementations that we quite often end up/setting up while developing any web application. But for some reason, I found it was not that easy to install RoR on a linux machine like with Ubuntu and get it running. I had to spend quite a lot of time to get my ruby, rails installed and bring up the webrick server. It doesn’t end there, I had some older version of e-books for Rails which used to have classic pagination and scaffolding stuff which simple doesn’t work on the later version of rails. It was quite bit late to realize all these changes in place for Rails 2.3.5 but then I managed to come out of every problem that I faced and was able to build my first rails application. It all went good until this error when I tried to create some sessions on the database through rake or even for that matter run db:migrate via rake. Even running rake with ‘trace’ on didn’t helped me much.
Virtual Timer Expired (on executing rake db:sessions:create or db:migrate)

As I did some googling around, the only suggestion I finding is re-install or downgrade ruby version. But it is the last thing I would like to do after progressing this long.

I will be really glad to hear from you, if there is a better solution to fix this problem.

The details of my current environment are follows:

OS : Ubuntu Jaunty Jakalope
Ruby Version : ruby 1.8.6 (2010-02-05 patchlevel 399) [i686-linux]
Rails Version: Rails 2.3.5
Rake Version: rake, version 0.8.7
Database: mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.75, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2

Thanks

Just a small update, I got this issue fixed by downgrading the version of ‘mysql’ gem that I installed from 2.8.1 to 2.7 and the rake db:migrate stopped throwing the ‘Virtual Time Expired’ error.

Thanks