MySql2 adapter hangs in Rails3 on Windows XP

Previously we've used Rails2.xx with no problems and we're trying to upgrade to ruby 1.9.2p180 and Rails 3.0.7 with pik to keep ruby versions separate.

After some initial difficulties with MySql2 gem installation, following <a href=http://rorguide.blogspot.com/2011/03/installing- mysql2-gem-on-ruby-192-and.html>these tips</a> got mysql2 v0.2.7 installed.

My problem is that mysql2 hangs whenever I invoke it. For instance, rake db:create never finishes.

Similarly, "rake db:migrate" and "rails console" also hang.

In all cases, if I kill the hung process, there is a stack trace that shows basically the same hung location: (in C:/Projects/Rails3/xxx) ** Invoke db:migrate (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment ** Execute db:migrate ---this never finishes.     ^C C:..some..path../mysql2_adapter.rb:312:in `query' C:..some..path../mysql2_adapter.rb:312:in `execute' C:..some..path../mysql2_adapter.rb:629:in `configure_connection'     <snip> C:/Ruby192/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:1992:in `run' C:/Ruby192/bin/rake:31:in `<main>'

I've checked the Gemfile and run bundle install.

Here is a snippet from the database.yml development:   adapter: mysql2   encoding: utf8   reconnect: false   database: xxx_schema_name_xxx   pool: 5   username: xxuser   password: xxpwd   host: xxx_dev.devhost.com   port: 3306

I have reconfigured this for a db local on my PC and for a remotes db- server. Both of those databases respond normally to commandline mysql monitor and to MySql Workbench.

The tests with sqlite3 databases work fine.

Previously we've used Rails2.xx with no problems and we're trying to upgrade to ruby 1.9.2p180 and Rails 3.0.7 with pik to keep ruby versions separate.

After some initial difficulties with MySql2 gem installation, following<a href=http://rorguide.blogspot.com/2011/03/installing- mysql2-gem-on-ruby-192-and.html>these tips</a> got mysql2 v0.2.7 installed.

Based on my recent experience, I had found v0.2.6 to work well, not sure if 0.2.7 is stable enough yet.

Installing 0.2.6 fixes it. Thanks for information.