multiple associated records

I am dealing with a legacy db which is limiting my options here.

I have...

class Stockmaster < ActiveRecord::Base   set_table_name "stockmaster"   set_primary_key "stockid"

has_many :prices

def wholesale_price(stockid)     Price.find(:first, :conditions => ["stockid = ? AND typeabbrev = ?", stockid, "WH"])   end

def retail_price(stockid)     Price.find(:first, :conditions => ["stockid = ? AND typeabbrev = ?", stockid, "RE"])   end end

and

class Price < ActiveRecord::Base   set_table_name "prices"   set_primary_key "stockid"

belongs_to :stockmaster end

and my issue is that I have both a 'WH' and 'RE' typeabbrev for each stockid and I need to make this simpler for a database lookup to print a prices sheet.

It makes sense to do eager loading of associations here but I cannot figure out how to change the model for this eager loading since for each stockid, there are two values (WH/wholesale and RE/retail).

Can anyone toss me a bone here?

Craig

I am dealing with a legacy db which is limiting my options here.

I have...

class Stockmaster < ActiveRecord::Base   set_table_name "stockmaster"   set_primary_key "stockid"

has_many :prices

def wholesale_price(stockid)     Price.find(:first, :conditions => ["stockid = ? AND typeabbrev = ?", stockid, "WH"])   end

def retail_price(stockid)     Price.find(:first, :conditions => ["stockid = ? AND typeabbrev = ?", stockid, "RE"])   end end

and

class Price < ActiveRecord::Base   set_table_name "prices"   set_primary_key "stockid"

belongs_to :stockmaster end

and my issue is that I have both a 'WH' and 'RE' typeabbrev for each stockid and I need to make this simpler for a database lookup to print a prices sheet.

It makes sense to do eager loading of associations here but I cannot figure out how to change the model for this eager loading since for each stockid, there are two values (WH/wholesale and RE/retail).

Can anyone toss me a bone here?

Shouldn't the line in Prices be belongs_to :stockmaster, :foreign_key => 'stockid' since ActiveRecord will be looking for 'stockmaster_id'?

I'm not sure I'm on the right track there, but in your first example you were explicitly looking for stockid in the find. Cheers.

Will there be more typeabbrev than the specified 2?. Do you expect more in the future?. If so, how many?

If typeabbrev are only two for each stockid then why cant you put them in stockmaster itself?.

Alternatively, you can have a Prices table with multiple columns with each column representing typeabbrev...

please provide more info...

Will there be more typeabbrev than the specified 2?. Do you expect more in the future?. If so, how many?

If typeabbrev are only two for each stockid then why cant you put them in stockmaster itself?.

Alternatively, you can have a Prices table with multiple columns with each column representing typeabbrev...

please provide more info...

I think the has one assoc. Is a good idea. But use :class_name => 'Price' instead of :through and :source