model question

Heyya,

I am working on a apartments rent model.

Some apartments are individual with address, price ... fields and the model for this is streightforward. Some apartments are a collection of apts in a complex with the same address but different price, bedroom number ... What is a good way to structure this difference.

I was thinking about adding to the Apartments model a "belongs to many" additional model. This child model would contain info on the apartments belonging to a multi unit complex. But searching by price range sounds little messy in this case, with duplicate addresses resolving and combing through apartments and child complex model for pricing

Any suggestions are very welcome

I am working on a apartments rent model.

Some apartments are individual with address, price ... fields and the model for this is streightforward. Some apartments are a collection of apts in a complex with the same address but different price, bedroom number ... What is a good way to structure this difference.

I was thinking about adding to the Apartments model a "belongs to many" additional model. This child model would contain info on the apartments belonging to a multi unit complex. But searching by price range sounds little messy in this case, with duplicate addresses resolving and combing through apartments and child complex model for pricing

Perhaps have an Apartment model that is the complex. Then have a Unit model that has the details for that particular unit. This creates a little annoyance when you have an apartment complex that has only one unit, but at least it's consistent.

As for search by price range... add a "min_price" and "max_price" to the Apartment model and then some after save handlers on the Unit model that would update those fields appropriately. That way a search by price is done only the the Apartment model and should be very quick...

-philip

Philip Hallstrom wrote:

additional model. This child model would contain info on the
apartments belonging to a multi unit complex. But searching by price range
sounds little messy in this case, with duplicate addresses resolving and combing through apartments and child complex model for pricing

Perhaps have an Apartment model that is the complex. Then have a Unit model that has the details for that particular unit. This creates a little annoyance when you have an apartment complex that has only one unit, but at least it's consistent.

As for search by price range... add a "min_price" and "max_price" to the Apartment model and then some after save handlers on the Unit model that would update those fields appropriately. That way a search by price is done only the the Apartment model and should be very quick...

-philip

Thanks Philip. That sounds like a clear, good way to do it. I initially thought of something like that. I strayed away because I already created a model for single house/condo rent and felt I'll be re-doing a lot of code if I do multi type separately. But it really sounds like the right choice.

Cheers, mrak