logging events app?

is there a webapp out there that allows the developer to log events (user emails joe, user logs out at xyz) that you can then turn into a report?

seems pretty simple, wonder if someone's done it already?

John Griffiths wrote:

is there a webapp out there that allows the developer to log events (user emails joe, user logs out at xyz) that you can then turn into a report?

to elaborate, there are many ways i figure you could do it google analytics etc, but wanted a more elaborate way to do it.

figure creating a sinatra webservice will probably solve the problem as no actual pages will be hit

John Griffiths wrote:

John Griffiths wrote:

to elaborate, there are many ways i figure you could do it google analytics etc, but wanted a more elaborate way to do it.

figure creating a sinatra webservice will probably solve the problem as no actual pages will be hit

Hi John,

You can try KissMetrics.com, although I think they're still in private beta. I think Scout also may help (www.scoutapp.com). There's also Rails addons, like Vanity (http://vanity.labnotes.org/).

I'm really not sure if any of these are exactly what you're looking for, as I haven't actually used any of them myself yet.

I'm guessing that you may also want to do some split testing. In that case, you may also want to check out www.abtests.com, which lists test results from other sites/people. This may help you learn a few good things to implement on your site without necessarily having to do the A/B tests yourself (although you probably still should test anyway).

Mike