loading data from yml produces strange result ?

I have a yml file of states of the US and Canada. I am loading them into a State model. State is defined with a migration   t.column :name, :string   t.column :abbrev :string

In my file states.yml, I have entries of this form massachusetts:    name: Massachusetts    abbrev: MA

then I have a migration that loads the state information

directory = File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), "dev_data")   Fixtures.create_fixtures(directory, "states")

Everything works as expected, until I try to load the data for Ontario the yml entry is ontario:   name: Ontraio   abbrev: ON

When I run this, the database entry for the Ontario abbreviation becomes "1", a string with the character 1

That isn't what I want. I have managed to work around this by using the abbreviation ONE, and then taking the first two characters with slice(0,2) whenever I want an abbreviation.

However, that seems like a band-aid.

ON is perhaps a reserved word, or triggering some behavior I don't understand ?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I would like Ontario to have the two character abbreviation ON

I have a yml file of states of the US and Canada. I am loading them into a State model. State is defined with a migration   t.column :name, :string   t.column :abbrev :string

In my file states.yml, I have entries of this form massachusetts:    name: Massachusetts    abbrev: MA

then I have a migration that loads the state information

directory = File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), "dev_data")   Fixtures.create_fixtures(directory, "states")

Everything works as expected, until I try to load the data for Ontario the yml entry is ontario:   name: Ontraio   abbrev: ON

When I run this, the database entry for the Ontario abbreviation becomes "1", a string with the character 1

That isn't what I want. I have managed to work around this by using the abbreviation ONE, and then taking the first two characters with slice(0,2) whenever I want an abbreviation.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I would like Ontario to have the two character abbreviation ON

I think yaml recognises certain pairs as being booleans (true/false
etc..). You can defeat that by putting the value in quotes.

Fred

GREAT !

That worked. Thanks.