Loading 3000 models to Ruby on Rails. Performances???

Hi,

I just wandering. If I autoload 3000 Ruby on Rails classes, will it need more computer memory? is more rails classes loaded, more memory needed? will it cause performances problems?

Thanks, John

Hi John,

More classes and instances will use more memory. Many websites uses Rails with these 3000+ classes in production, so that's not really a problem.

What exactly is your question? You can disable parts of the Rails framework in your environment.rb, but that won't make a big difference.

pl wrote:

Hi John,

More classes and instances will use more memory. Many websites uses Rails with these 3000+ classes in production, so that's not really a problem.

What exactly is your question? You can disable parts of the Rails framework in your environment.rb, but that won't make a big difference.

Hi Pl,

Great to know many website use more than 3000+ classes.

Basically, 1. I will have huge numbers of tables and each one of them have totally different columns. This because I want user to be able to upload theirs own data/tables. So, in this case, it can be even 20000+ classes. 2. For each tables, I will have model class that will access that table.

3. By having these no 1 and 2 requirement, I will need to load "model classes" dynamically whenever a user import their own table without restarting rails. So that's why I am looking into autoload feature. But seems like autoload only loading it from file. It will not load based on "string that contain model class"

You may really want to look at a NoSQL option, like MongoDB.

E. Litwin wrote:

Yes, I indeed using NoSQL. Even with NoSQL, you still need Model Class to save and retrieve data. :).

John John wrote:

E. Litwin wrote:

Yes, I indeed using NoSQL. Even with NoSQL, you still need Model Class to save and retrieve data. :).

oh yeah, I think I found the solution of using Object::const_set

The next question is. ---------- is it possible to convert this ----- Object::const_set(name.intern, Class::new do def write    puts "TEST" end end )

--------- convert above to ----------------- string_test = ' def write                    puts "TEST"                end' Object::const_set(name.intern, Class::new do string_test end )

-------- is that possible?

no need to answer find the answer using eval