load_missing_constant: Expected to define class in module

Hi I'm having some weird issues with Rails 3 and classes defined in modules.

To be more precise I've created several files that define classes in the AppBase module like: module AppBase   class BackendMenu     [content omitted]   end end

When a page tries to use the BackendMenu class like AppBase::BackendMenu I get an error saying "Expected backend_menu.rb to define BackendMenu (load error)", but if reload the page the error no longer displays and the application works as it's supposed to.

The same thing happens to all the other files. Basically I need to reload the page for each class I'm using, but after they've all been loaded everything works.

Have you any ideas why I get this behavior and how to fix it?

The main problem is that if I use one of the classes in the initializers I can't force a reload and the application won't start.

Hi I'm having some weird issues with Rails 3 and classes defined in modules.

To be more precise I've created several files that define classes in the AppBase module like: module AppBase class BackendMenu [content omitted] end end

Rails' magic code loading would expect this file to be in app_base/ backend_menu.rb app_base.rb should define the AppBase module (possibly empty). Have you tried that?

Fred.

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1063594: