$(link).previous("input[type=hidden]") is undefined

I am getting this error when trying to use the remove link explained in the Railscast:

error: $(link).previous("input[type=hidden]") is undefined remove_fields()applic...1065175 (line 6) function onclick(event) { remove_fields(this); return false; }()1 (line 2) [Break on this error] $(link).previous("input[type=hidden]").value = "1";

in the view file I have :

<% echantillon_form.fields_for :treatments do |builder| %>            <%= render "treatment", :f => builder %>         <% end %>

in the partial I have :

<p class = "treatmentfields">

<tr>          <td class ="name"> type d'examen: </td><td></td><td><%= f.text_field :treatmenttype %></td>          <td></td>          </tr>

<tr>          <td class ="name"> commentaires sur la preparation : </

<td></td><td><%= f.text_field :preparation %></td>

<td></td>          </tr>

<%= f.hidden_field :_destroy %>

<tr><td><%= link_to_function "remove", "remove_fields(this)" %></td></tr>

</p>

and in the appliction.js file I have:

function remove_fields(link) {

$(link).previous("input[type=hidden]").value = "1";   $(link).up(".treatmentfields").hide();

}

Looks like because the hidden field and the link don't have the same parent - the previous function finds you the previous sibling element (matching the selector if specified)

Fred

I had to restructure my page in html so that the link did follow the hidden input field. It works now but when I follow the further instructions in the railscast to have an "add" link to add an object, I get this error:

undefined method `render_partial' for #<ActionView::ReloadableTemplate: 0x9f80d28>

this is my view:

<% echantillon_form.fields_for :treatments do |builder| %>            <%= render "treatment", :f => builder %>         <% end %>

<%= link_to_add_fields "Add treatment", echantillon_form, :treatments %>

the problem was that I didn't have "_fields" as part of the name of my partial.