Jquery xhr works in firefox, not safari

Hi,

I have a button which sends an ajax request, see below:

<p><%= link_to "Save", {:controller => 'budgets', :action => 'validate', :id => @budget}, :class => "button post" %></p>

The jquery js is below, i basically attach the xhr request to any link with a class of "post" which is above. This all works fine in firefox but not in safari or chrome.

/* Post data via html Use the class post in your link declaration <%= link_to 'My link', my_new_path(),:class => "post" %> */ jQuery.fn.postWithAjax = function() {   this.unbind('click', false);   this.click(function() {     $.post($(this).attr("href"), $(this).serialize(), null, "script");     return false;   })   return this; };

function ajaxLinks(){     $('a.post').postWithAjax(); }

$(document).ready(function() { // All non-GET requests will add the authenticity token $(document).ajaxSend(function(event, request, settings) {        if (typeof(window.AUTH_TOKEN) == "undefined") return;        // IE6 fix for http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/3155        if (settings.type == 'GET' || settings.type == 'get') return;

settings.data = settings.data || "";        settings.data += (settings.data ? "&" : "") + "authenticity_token=" + encodeURIComponent(window.AUTH_TOKEN);      });

ajaxLinks(); });

I get the following error message in the logs when trying to click the link in safari.

[FATAL: 1105 16:32:21 #4899] /!\ FAILSAFE /!\ Fri Nov 05 16:32:21 +0000 2010   Status: 500 Internal Server Error   You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base. The error occurred while evaluating nil.attributes     /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/vendor/xml-simple-1.0.11/xmlsimple.rb:708:in `get_attributes'     /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/vendor/xml-simple-1.0.11/xmlsimple.rb:462:in `collapse'     /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash/conversions.rb:13:in `xml_in_string'     /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash/conversions.rb:23:in `xml_in_string'     /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash/conversions.rb:171:in `from_xml'

My own personal hunch from googling around is its something to do with the authentiaction token but nothing i have tried has fixed this.

Has anyone got any idea what is wrong?

JB

Hey, i had the same error and i used the same jquery script as you have.

The quick solution is change the post request to get. It are normal links anyway. Dont know why you need post for that.

function ajaxLinks(){     $('a.get').getWithAjax(); }

<%= link_to "Save", {:controller => 'budgets', :action => 'validate', :id => @budget}, :class => "button get" %>

Good luck!