JOB: coders/developers needed for social commerce site. Board consists of public company CEOs, VC founder and NFL athlete

Soletron -- Job Description • My co-founder and I are seeking a motivated, well-educated and experienced candidate to join our team as we construct an e-commerce and social networking platform • We seek someone who, like us, wishes to venture out on his or her own, with the intent of creating a product and building a company from the ground up • Will report directly to the founders/CTO and may be expected to recruit and manage the tech team (if hired as CTO)

Business model: • E-commerce platform and blog with auction-based functionality • Social networking • Emphasis on usability/functionality and beautiful design

Highlights: • Advisory Board consisting of very high profile members, including two former public company CEOs, a VC company founder, a very well- known professional athlete, and an internet/digital media investment banker • Founders with successful track records in retail, investment banking and as investment professionals in the venture capital/private equity industry • CEO is the owner/founder of a well known specialty retail boutique operating in our target industry • Opportunity for the Lead Developer/CTO to take ownership in the creation of a very exciting company from the ground up and lead the tech team

Qualifications/Requirements: • Prior experience desired but not necessary in building e-commerce/ payment processing platforms • Front end/back end experience with management skills and leadership experience • Top tier education in programming/coding/computer science • Should be able to present prior completed work • Honesty, integrity and good communication skills a must

Relevant experience/languages: Ruby on Rails, PHP programming / OOP / Multi-tier-MySQL-Apache-Linux (LAMP), MVC Framework(Zend, Symfony,CakePHP), XML, JSON, CVS, SVN, AJAX, Adobe Flex / AIR / ActiveScript, JavaScript (YUI, JQuery),Network Administration/Security/Configuration, Apache web server, Email (Sendmail, Postfix,Qmail), DNS-BIND servers, WAP, High Availability / Cluster systems, X-Window, Linux/Windows/Unix operating systems,Web Services (SOAP, RPC, RSS, JSON), Cloud computing (Amazon web services S3, E2)

Please submit inquiries/resume/prior completed work to sprobinson1982@gmail.com

Soletron -- Job Description Relevant experience/languages:

Just to be really clear . . .

Ruby on Rails, PHP programming

Because you coded in PHP to date and want to port to Ruby?

MVC Framework(Zend, Symfony,CakePHP)

Are you really using all three in the current code base? Given this is a Rails list I'm guessing you're planning to port the code to Ruby/Rails anyway ...

CVS, SVN,

Wow - how old is the code base? Svn I get, but you have code in cvs or need to connect to cvs repo's? (And to mirror what most people are gonna say, go with git or mercurial if you have the option - very few good reasons to use svn on a green field app)

Email (Sendmail, Postfix,Qmail),

All three? And along with some of the other network stuff, considering getting out of that business day 1 and using something like Heroku so you can focus your coder on coding.

DNS-BIND servers

Really? Unless you have a really unique app, this is commodity. You don't want to waste programmer time configuring, locking down and maintaining in house DNS servers.

Web Services (SOAP, RPC, RSS, JSON)

The only reason for someone to know SOAP on this list is (a) so they can connect with painful legacy systems (I get that could be possible in retail for inventory) or (b) so they can be thankful they use RESTful web services and don't have to deal with that stuff any more. If you want to complete the usual annoying acronym soup, you missed XML. On a separate note, if you can find a programmer who can't figure out json, run very quickly in the other direction.

Best Wishes, Peter

Yeah that really is an acronym soup he has there. I suspect that they haven't got the faintest technical idea and so are throwing everything including the kitchen sink into the pot. WAP, X-Windows? Hopefully there is a damn good reason for listing these, but I suspect that there isn't.

Of course saying where they are located would be a bonus :slight_smile:

Well at least they didn't say "local applicants preferred" :slight_smile:

Unless it was a test - figure out where we're located or you don't have the initiative we want of applicants . . .

Best Wishes, Peter

Could be but then again I don't look too closely at ads that don't mention location so it could be seen as self defeating. Cryptic and incompetent look much the same :slight_smile:

But then why mention 'NFL athlete' in the subject line, is it meant to pique our interest? Not sure I want to work somewhere where the founder is a jock.

Tell me about the location, the offices, the local bagel shops, the pay.

I genuinely want to know why they included WAP and X-Windows. In an interview I would judge the company on the answer they gave to such a question.