Javascript live filter like textmate command-t

I’m trying to create a list that can be filtered with javascript as you’re typing in a text box. I am basically trying to duplicate the textmate command-t feature. I am currently using a text field autocomplete to choose an item on a form and submitting it but the list I am working with is very long and I would rather kill the form and have each list item be a link instead. Basically users would type in the filter box until they see the item they want and click it, just like in textmate.

I don’t want to use a field observer bc of speed and server load so I need it all to happen in the browser. Is there a way to do this with rjs or do I need to create a straight out javascript solution?

Chris Barnes wrote:

I'm trying to create a list that can be filtered with javascript as you're typing in a text box. I am basically trying to duplicate the textmate command-t feature. I am currently using a text field autocomplete to choose an item on a form and submitting it but the list I am working with is very long and I would rather kill the form and have each list item be a link instead. Basically users would type in the filter box until they see the item they want and click it, just like in textmate.

I don't want to use a field observer bc of speed and server load so I need it all to happen in the browser. Is there a way to do this with rjs or do I need to create a straight out javascript solution?

>

Not sure I'm quite getting where you're coming from, particularly the bit about using field observer bc of speed and server load (which is more to do with whether you do a query after each character has been typed rather than whether you use a field observer), but I did a post a while back which might help...