Javascript form validation for In place editting in scriptaculous ?

Is there a way by which I can do form validation for form generated by In Place Editting of scritaculous?

The reason is, I want to avoid server roundtrip for checks which I can perform at browser.

Regards,

Jatinder

Override the default method called by in_place_edit :

If you have <%= in_place_editor_field :object, :attribute %>

Define the following in your controller :

private def set_object_attribute - find by id - update attribute - render :text => @object.attribute end

This will perform the validation, but won't display the errors however. You might want to play around with RJS to do so.

-Pratik

Found this.

http://rails.techno-weenie.net/question/2006/7/17/how-do-i-extend-the-rails-code-to-do-what-i-want

Thanks for sharing the link Pratik.

The link explains how do I extend rails code to perform certain validations for in place editing control at server side; I am looking for performing validations at client side.

for e.g.

Email:

On submission of above form, validate_form javascript method should be called to perform javascript form validation, only then form should be submitted.

I was wondering if scriptaculous IPE allows that? something like onSubmitFormValidate as one of the options argument in IPE would have been great.

Regards,

Jatinder

I usually never perform client side validation. As it can be fooled easily, and you might end up with a lot of junk code in your database. So, even if you're doing client side validation, server side validation is a must.

Try looking into unobtrusive js plugin. That might be useful.

Thanks, Pratik

Yes I would definately add validations at server level too.

I will look through unobtrusive js plugin.

Thanks!

-Jatinder