Iterate HashWithIndifferentAccess

How do I iterate a HashWithIndifferentAccess? I need to set the order using a sortable_element.

first check out the class of the object, if its a hash do

HashWithIndifferentAccess.each do |key, value| puts key puts value end

if it's a hash, its order is not guaranteed... next time you iterate it, you might find it's in a different order

Pål Bergström wrote:

How do I iterate a HashWithIndifferentAccess? I need to set the order using a sortable_element.

As Michael said, order is not guaranteed -- even if you include an element for that.

When I need to count on the order I use an array of pairs. I use this for value list data. It's not as handy as Lasso's array of pairs which are sortable and searchable, but it's a close as we get.

list = [ ["Small", "S"], ["Medium","M"], ["Large","L"] ]

If you have to start with the Hash, and it includes a sort number of some type, then you can modify the conversion to specifically retrieve the by the sort number.

If you need help with that, give an exampe of the exact data structure you'd be starting with.

-- gw

Greg Willits wrote:

If you need help with that, give an exampe of the exact data structure you'd be starting with.

With the help of sortable_element and :tree set as true (and moving up item 3 before item 1, just as a test) I get a Hash from this list:

<ul> <li id="3"></li> <li id="1"></li> <li id="5"><ul><li id="6"></li></ul></li> <li id="7"></li> </ul>

The hash:

{"0"=>{"id"=>"3"}, "1"=>{"id"=>"1"}, "2"=>{"0"=>{"id"=>"6"}, "id"=>"5", "1"=>{"id"=>"7"}}}

I can sort out the key and value. But with key nr 2 I have problem (id 5 with sub list containing id 6). If I use params[:mylist].each do |k,v| I only get the key of 2 and value 5. How do I deal with a nested hash like that?

I hope I make sense.

i hash inside a hash i read it list[:outer_value][:deeper_value] and you can do

list.each do |key,value| if value.class == ‘Hash’ puts “values for key #{ key}” value.each do | key2,value2| puts “key: #{key2} and value: #{value2}” end else puts “key: #{key} and value: #{value}” end end

radhames brito wrote:

i hash inside a hash i read it list[:outer_value][:deeper_value] and you can do

list.each do |key,value|    if value.class == 'Hash'       puts "values for key #{ key}"        value.each do | key2,value2|              puts "key: #{key2} and value: #{value2}"         end    else        puts "key: #{key} and value: #{value}"    end   end

Perfect. Thanks.