Issues With New Site

Hi,

I am using Ruby on Rails to create a new site.

On every page, I want to have a log in box. I also want to display the latest 5 news items on all the pages as well.

How could I go around this? Is it possible to have @news = News.find(:all, :limit => 5 ) in the application handler, and then call the @news on all pages?

Would I also be able to handle the log in code in the main application controller aswell?

Thanks a lot, Rob

take a look at learningrails.com

they have some excellent videos on creating an app with the login functionality

Ryan Bates also has great screencasts on almost every topic to get you up and running

railscasts.com

jason

Hi,

I am using Ruby on Rails to create a new site.

On every page, I want to have a log in box. I also want to display the latest 5 news items on all the pages as well.

How could I go around this?

You would probably want to put these elements in your layout, rather than in each individual view.

Is it possible to have @news = News.find(:all, :limit => 5 ) in the application handler, and then call the @news on all pages?

You could do this, but it would probably be easier and more maintainable to use a partial.

Would I also be able to handle the log in code in the main application controller aswell?

Yes. See restful_authentication for a very nice login plugin (I use it on most of my apps).

Thanks a lot, Rob

Best,

Hi Rob,

Partials sounds the go to me !

cheers Dave