Is drb much slower than memcached ?

I do some test, surprising to find seeming to access drb much slower than access memcached.

If it's true, should we use more memcached directly than drb based things (like backgrounddrb) in scale situation ?

Before the test, I can't decide whether to do(such as get/set global data operations) in drb/backgrounddrb or just access memcached in actioncontrollers.

I have thought of that doing save(or some read) operations in drb/backgroundrb asynchronous will improve the performance highly.

Hope for your idea, thank you.

water

The test:

?summary? just loop 100 times doing a simple action with drb & memcached, see how long they will take.

?background? ruby 1.8.4 (2006-04-14) [i386-mswin32] Rails 1.1.6 memcache-client-1.0.3 Distributed Ruby: _dRuby_ version 2.0.4 # from ruby/lib/rub/1.8/drb/drb.rb

?begin? # RAILS_ROOT/config/enviroments/development.rb # new drb object here to ensure just new it once at the beginning require 'drb' DRb.start_service() DRB_OBJ = DRbObject.new(nil, 'druby://localhost:9000')

# In a simple actioncontroller class TestController < ApplicationController   def test     start_time = Time.now.to_f     100.times do       DRB_OBJ.doNothingInSide() # just invoke a simple drb function, do nothing inside     end     end_time = Time.now.to_f     flash['tm2'] = sprintf("DRB access take (%0.9f)", end_time - start_time) # log the duration to show in view

start_time = Time.now.to_f     100.times do       Cache::put('test', {'test' => 'just test'}) # just set the memcached through memcache-client's put method     end     end_time = Time.now.to_f     flash['tm1'] = sprintf("Memcache access take (%0.9f)", end_time - start_time) # log the duration to show in view   end end

# In the simple view <p>tm1=#<%=flash['tm1']%>#</p> <p>tm2=#<%=flash['tm2']%>#</p>

# run & see the results tm1=#Memcache access take (0.546000004) tm2=#DRB access take (3.141000032)

The running results different every time, but all show memcached much faster than drb access.

Hi-

YEah memcached is pure C and is very fast. DRb is a bit slower for
caching. Backgroundrb has caching features but I recommend you use
memcached for scalable cache. Backgroundrb is more for the worker
classes then for caching.

Cheers- -Ezra

Using Eventmachie and MemCache......i am on verge of phasing out....backgroundrb.

I am not sure, if it is such a nice decision.but turns out pretty fast and since i developed it....I can be little bit sure about it.

The flipside is...i use TCPSocket to pass messages to the background daemons.