integration with plone site--insane?

Hey All,

My group has a plone-based public web portal thingy that a contractor provides for us, w/all the usual CMS goodies (contacts; news items, hierarchical folder structure, etc.).

Quite independently of that, they asked me to create a project/collaboration tracking application (who's involved w/what project, in what capacity, etc.) which I took as an opportunity to learn RoR. The plone thing runs at the contractor's & is accessible from several different organizations (a requirement). The RoR app just runs here at my site on our intranet (w/out any security at all).

Management may be moving toward the <<plone site>> + <<ror web app>> = <<super web app!>> arithmatic, and it's giving me a queasy feeling.

Has anybody tried to integrate a plone site & a ror app? Single-sign-on is the most desired thing I believe, tho sharing lists of people & contact info etc. would also be nice. Any pointers/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Roy

Roy Pardee Research Analyst/Programmer Group Health Center For Health Studies (Cancer Research Network) (206) 287-2078 Google Talk: rpardee

Roy Pardee wrote: Has anybody tried to integrate a plone site & a ror app? Single-sign-on is the most desired thing I believe, tho sharing lists of people & contact info etc. would also be nice. Any pointers/advice would be most appreciated.

What about OpenID? On the plone side have them add OpenID support. http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/openid-support

On the RoR side do the same. http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/openid

Cheers.

Thanks! I wondered about that. Does OpenID do actual single-sign on, or is it more that you can use the same credentials from site to site?

I think if I put my app out in the wild I'll try to do openid. The trick will be getting the contractor to make that an option for the plone site. They're using a customized version & serving it out to a pretty large customer base, and so even adding plug-ins (or whatever they're called) is a Big Deal. Or so they tell me anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks much for the response.

-Roy