Instant Rails : Installation

Hi Guys.

I Downloaded and tried to unzip the Instant Rails .zip installation file (InstantRails-1.6-win.zip) but I'm receiving the following error message for several files:

"The filename or extension is too long"

Could you guys please advice. Thanks in advance!

FrankLo

FrankLo wrote:

Hi Guys.

I Downloaded and tried to unzip the Instant Rails .zip installation file (InstantRails-1.6-win.zip) but I'm receiving the following error message for several files:

"The filename or extension is too long"

Could you guys please advice. Thanks in advance!

Try unpacking it at the root of C:.

The archive is packed with an extra root directory at the top for some reason. I.e. the path is "InstantRails-1.6-win" => "InstantRails" => <interesting stuff>.

If you extract the archive into it's own directory first you add one more level, e.g.:

<extra folder> => "InstantRails-1.6-win" => "InstantRails" => ...

When I try to extract it to my Desktop folder with the extra folder WinZip 9.0 will give up near the end. I tried WinRAR and the Windows XP built-in extractor but they just hang trying to deal with that archive. If I extract it to my Desktop without the extra directory it works or if I extract it to C: even with the extra directory it works.

I have two thoughts... First, make sure the path under which you are unzipping does not contain any space characters (like "Program Files"), and second, maybe your base path + the IR internal paths end up exceeding 255 chars, so try unzipping it in the root of one of your drives.

If neither of those helps, what software are you using to unzip it? I can successfully unzip it with both 7-Zip (open source) and WinZip (commercial).

Curt

I tried unpacking it at the root of C: and worked fine. Thanks! FrankLo

Michael Wang wrote:

If if you successfully unpacked to the desktop, you couldn't run Instant Rails there because the desktop folder contains spaces in its path.

Curt