Importing flat CSV into two tables and maintaining a relationship

Hello,

I'm new to Ruby on Rails and I've been really enjoying the framework. I have recently hit a wall that I can't seem to get around. I've searched to web and haven't found an answer(and my agile development with rails book hasn't arrived).....

My problem: I have a CSV file that has information about recreation programs, and the buildings that each program is housed in. It is in a one line format.

So,

Building name | Location | Program name | Description of program | Time |

Buildings have many programs, but programs only have one building.

I need to import this CSV into a mysql database. I can do this using migrations and FasterCSV. There are duplicate entries for buildings, and I only want each building entered into the database once, which I could use validates uniqueness to ensure.

The wall I've encountered is how do I maintain the relationship between programs and buildings throughout this import process?

Ie I want to be able to list the programs in each building...

Many Thanks and apologies if there is a very obvious solution that I am missing,

Jay

Use:

current_building = Building.find_or_create_by_name(bldg_name)

If you need to do something differently when the Building was created (like setup more attributes), you can:

# new_record? is false on create, but nil on find    unless current_building.new_record?.nil?      ...    end

Then I assume you have something like:

current_building.programs.create(...)

or:

new_program.building = current_building

when you create the new program from the CSV data.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com