I wanna make a new rails community :)

I agree…

Am Ashokkumar, RoR developer.

I started rails programming for my past 4months.

I think we both are the right pair to start learning.

All is well !!

I agree also. It seems that there are also overlapping issues that go together with Rails programming. I would like to be able to be great at Ruby programming too. I picked up a book on “Scripting Intelligence” and while the author speaks of doing things in Rails, there is so much Ruby programming in the text.

On wikipedia Drupal is in the same classification as Ruby, as a “framework.” Not sure if it fits but I find myself getting ignored in my requests there. I have to admit that I don’t have that experience here. I do seem to get responses to my questions – even when I annoy others with my naiveté.

This could be a topic in itself but anyway, I bought that book the Rails Tutorial. It struck me as somewhat overwhelming the programming in Rails can be. For example, in section 1.2 of the tutorial, the author writes, “(Also beware that lots of things can go wrong. For example, on my system the latest version of Ruby 1.8.7 won’t compile; instead after much searching and hand-wringing, I discovered that I needed ‘patchlevel’ number 174:

$ rvm install 1.8.7-p174

When things like this happen to you, it’s always frustrating, but at least you know that it happens to everyone…)”

Ok, the problem is that the author didn’t say how he determined what patchlevel he needed… So, I had mixed feelings… on the one hand there is the consolation in knowing that the difficulty one is having just getting started is not a unique experience for you coming to RoR. On the other hand, this is extremely daunting for a newbie to Rails. With other languages, usually backwards compatibility is maintained for a certain period of time. For example, you can run PHP 4.x.y on a system with PHP 5.3.x but not necessarily the other way around. As a matter of fact, I’m not aware of any other language I’ve used that had anywhere near the level of potential things that could go wrong.

I don’t mean to discredit RoR but to see how one can get a handle on this issue. I wonder why one would need such a specific version of Ruby? In my case it was only Rails that created any kind of problem. Ruby was easy enough to get up and running.

Bruce