how would you know how to call this rails method (select_all) this starting point of it's Rails API description?

Hi,

I’m curious. If you saw the Rails “select_all(sql, name = nil)” method (rerfer http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/ConnectionAdapters/DatabaseStatements.html#M001060 ), and wanted to use it, how would you really know how to use it and call it from this API doco?

I know from googling that you can call it from within a model by going “ActiveRecord::Base.connection.select_all(sql_string)”, but how would I have worked this out from the API doco. Within the API page for the method it says it’s within Module “ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::DatabaseStatements”.

Thanks

Hi, I'm curious. If you saw the Rails "select_all(sql, name = nil)" method (rerferhttp://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/ConnectionAdapters/Da…), and wanted to use it, how would you really know how to use it and call it from this API doco?

I know from googling that you can call it from within a model by going "ActiveRecord::Base.connection.select_all(sql_string)", but how would I have worked this out from the API doco.

That's just me, but it seems kind of obvious to me. The second parameter is a bit more mysterious but if it has a default value chances are you can just ignore it. the fact that the first parameter is called sql strongly implies that you should give it some sql.

Fred

how is it obvious to your Frederick can I ask - how would you know these methods will end up where they do - I’m guessing (but might be wrong) you would have to look through Rails code to find out how it uses/mixes in the methods as the framework instantiates itself. If I’m correct here this would be normal its not obvious to see how you would call the method…

Am I on the right track here?

how is it obvious to your Frederick can I ask - how would you know these methods will end up where they do - I'm guessing (but might be wrong) you would have to look through Rails code to find out how it uses/mixes in the methods as the framework instantiates itself. If I'm correct here this would be normal its not obvious to see how you would call the method... Am I on the right track here?

I suppose there is some prior knowledge or a bit of experimentation to know that connection adapters are split up into those various modules.

Fred