How to read the logs?

Can anyone tell me where I can learn how to read and decipher the logs? I've done a few google searches and nothing comes up.

Specifically, I just uploaded my first app to a production server and it doesn't work and I got the following even though it works perfectly fine on my development machine:

ctionView::TemplateError (uninitialized constant Err::Acts::Textiled::ClassMethods::RedCloth) on line #26 of viewer/ show.html.erb: 23: 24: <% else %> 25: 26: <%= @page.body %> 27: 28: <% end %>    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:276:in `load_missing_constant'    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:468:in `const_missing'    /home/admin/book/vendor/plugins/acts_as_textiled/lib/ acts_as_textiled.rb:24:in `body'    /home/admin/book/app/views/viewer/show.html.erb:26:in `_run_erb_47app47views47viewer47show46html46erb'

railsfid@gmail.com wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I can learn how to read and decipher the logs? I've done a few google searches and nothing comes up.

Specifically, I just uploaded my first app to a production server and it doesn't work and I got the following even though it works perfectly fine on my development machine:

I'm not sure there's any substitute for just good old fashioned experience. In this case there's a missing RedCloth library - I'd guess you're missing the redcloth gem on your server.

Fred

I can vouch for this. I haven't been reading logs for long, but I'm getting better the more I do it ... which is bad, because it means I'm making a lot of mistakes. I digress however.

It does look like you are missing the RedCloth gem on your production server.

The RedCloth gem is installed: RedCloth (4.1.1, 4.1.0)

That's why I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

The RedCloth gem is installed: RedCloth (4.1.1, 4.1.0)

That's why I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

Then presumably something is stopping it loading. Acts as textile
swallows the load error, so I'd start by just loading rubygems in irb
and try to require RedCloth.

Fred