how to read RoR (ruby?) aloud?

Is there a recommended way to "speak" (orally or mentally) the punctuation-loaded RoR (Ruby) constructs?

I'm guessing that

: is silent    => is spoken as "is"    do |thing| is spoken as "do with thing"

so that a reader's mind might be "say"    create_table "containers_drinks", :id => false do |t| as   createtable containersdrinks with id as false do with t

PS. I know this is an odd question. I ask because I've only seen any of these symbols on a screen; nobody I know personally uses either Ruby or RoR. Does pronunciation matter? Probably not, but I do remember learning French vocabulary from a book with a poor pronunciation key, and being embarrassed in class when I pronounced things as they looked. More seriously, though, I think forming a mental sound may help people to adopt a language. For example, I adored APL back in the day, but I became aware that the language was not catching on partly because people couldn't talk about the code aloud.

Hi --

Is there a recommended way to "speak" (orally or mentally) the punctuation-loaded RoR (Ruby) constructs?

I'm guessing that

: is silent   => is spoken as "is"   do |thing| is spoken as "do with thing"

so that a reader's mind might be "say"   create_table "containers_drinks", :id => false do |t| as createtable containersdrinks with id as false do with t

It's a valiant attempt but I don't think I'd know what you were talking about :slight_smile:

PS. I know this is an odd question. I ask because I've only seen any of these symbols on a screen; nobody I know personally uses either Ruby or RoR. Does pronunciation matter? Probably not, but I do remember learning French vocabulary from a book with a poor pronunciation key, and being embarrassed in class when I pronounced things as they looked. More seriously, though, I think forming a mental sound may help people to adopt a language. For example, I adored APL back in the day, but I became aware that the language was not catching on partly because people couldn't talk about the code aloud.

I just use lots of hand gestures :slight_smile:

David

I don’t personally know any rubyists either, but I don’t ever really remember speaking or hearing C or Java (unless you count university lectures, but even then the lecturer used an OHP or computer projector). I don’t really think there is a standard way. I can understand what you mean about making it easier to learn if you know how to say it, but I’m quite a visual person, so I don’t really need to. If you would like to be able to speak it, just work out a standard that’s best for you and use that.

People don’t generally talk about code in that much detail unless they are at a computer in my experience. The only times I’ve ever talked about coding, it’s been object structure, or at most, “I used a for-loop to do it,” that sort of thing. Usually when talking about Java, I could’ve been talking about any OO language.

-Nathan