How to package a plugin and publish it

Hi,

I searched this forum as well as googled for documentation on how to package a plugin, couldn't find any. May be I missed documentation about it, I really appreciate for any pointers to doc/tutorial or steps for packaging and publishing a rails plugin.

Thanks Babu

pbn wrote:

Hi,

I searched this forum as well as googled for documentation on how to package a plugin, couldn't find any. May be I missed documentation about it, I really appreciate for any pointers to doc/tutorial or steps for packaging and publishing a rails plugin.

Thanks Babu

rails plugin_test_app   cd plugin_test_app   ruby script/generate plugin make_rails_scale

Open up vendor/plugins/make_rails_scale/lib and stick some ruby classes in it. then edit the plugins init.rb to require them and other initialization stuff. Check out the structure of another plugin which does something sort of similar, architecturally and see how they do it.

Thanks for the reply... I know how to create a plugin, my question is how to package and distribute it for sharing it with others.

pbn wrote:

Thanks for the reply... I know how to create a plugin, my question is how to package and distribute it for sharing it with others.

On May 22, 5:39 pm, Alex Wayne <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Right, my bad.

It's as simple as putting your plugin at a publicly accessible source repository. You can use SVN, or host it free at GitHub. Just know that only Rails 2.1 supports installing plugins with git via the script/plugin method.

Here's an example of a plugin of mine on GitHub:   GitHub - AlexJWayne/fleximage: Rails plugin for uploading images as resources, with support for resizing, text stamping, and other special effects.