How to manage the form of a model that has two foreign keys

Hi,

Basically I have two models: User and Godfather. The godfather table has three columns:

- user_id (FK --> User) - user_godfather_id (FK --> User) - description (text)

Inside each model class, I am adding the following associations:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :godfathers # for user_id       has_many :godfathers, :foreign_key => "user_godfather_id", :class_name => "Godfather"

accepts_nested_attributes_for :godfathers     end

class Godfather < ActiveRecord::Base        belongs_to :zz_user_id, :class_name => "User"        belongs_to :user_godfather_id, :class_name => "User"     end

Now my question is about how to manage the edit form of this nested attribute relationships. Here is how my form looks like at the moment (using the nested_form_for gem):

<%= nested_form_for @user do |f| %>                 <%= f.fields_for :godfathers do |godfather_form| %>                     # Here I have an ID text field but what I want instead is                     # to provide a username for this godfather.                     <%= godfather_form.label :user_godfather_id %>                     <%= godfather_form.text_field :user_godfather_id %>

<%= godfather_form.label :description %>                     <%= godfather_form.text_field :description %>

<%= godfather_form.link_to_remove "Remove this godfather" %>                  <% end %>                 <%= f.link_to_add "Add a godfather", :godfathers %> <br/><br/>      <%= f.submit "Update Godfathers" %>

So as I said in the comments, my goal is to be able to provide a username for the godfather instead of an id. That username is a column in the User table by the way.

Any idea about how I should go about it?

Thanks!

Just wanted to add a small correction for the Godfather model:

class Godfather < ActiveRecord::Base        belongs_to :user        belongs_to :user_godfather, :class_name => "User"     end